If you have periodontal disease, Dr. Donna Gentry may recommend Arestin® to treat it. Arestin is an antibiotic treatment designed to fight the harmful bacteria that cause gum disease. We invite you to contact SeaSide Dentistry at 252-764-2784 to learn more about Arestin in Cedar Point, North Carolina, and to schedule your consultation with our skilled dentist.
Arestin (minocycline hydrochloride) is provided in the form of a powder, which is placed inside infected periodontal pockets, usually after a scaling and root planing procedure. This powder contains microsphere (tiny particles filled with antibiotic medication) which are gradually released over a 30-day period to kill the disease-causing bacteria in your mouth. Within 90 days, you should see results that are noticeably better than those you would receive from a scaling and root planing treatment alone.
After your Arestin treatment, we recommend that you:
- Do not touch the treated areas for 1 week
- Wait 10 days before using floss, toothpicks, or other devices to clean between the teeth in the treated areas
- Avoid eating hard, crunchy, or sticky foods for 1 week following your treatment
- Stay hydrated
- Limit your smoking and use of other tobacco products, as this will hinder the healing process
- Keep all your follow-up appointments
If you experience pain, swelling, or other problems, please contact our office. For more information about Arestin, and to set up your appointment with our dentist, please call our practice today.